Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where's the snow ????

I thought Aspen, Colorado is big skiing country! Attached are various photos I took while there this week. Pam's boss needed some furniture taken out there and my name came up as a driver. So we rented a 26' U-haul. I picked up furniture last Tuesday, early a.m., and was on the road by 9:15. Lincoln, Nebraska Tuesday night. Wednesday night I was in Denver. Dick and Cookie came down to Denver Wednesday evening. We met at Ted's (Turner) Montana Grill for dinner. We had a really nice visit and a very good meal. It was good of them to run 120 miles round trip rather than I go up and back to Greeley after having driven 495 miles that day. Thursday ended up being a bit of, let's say, a flexible day. My morning plans fell through and got post-poned to early Friday morning. But my afternoon plans held true. I drove down to Castle Rock to see Grandma Williamson, Bill and Velma. Had a very nice visit at the senior home where Grandma lives. Nice place. She says she is very happy there. Good food (usually), lots of activities, can get her hair done, has her nails done when ever she wants, they fulfill any needs that crop up, and she is close to Bill and Vel. She looks well. Had a good visit with Bill and Vel also. Their house is lovely. Got a nice tour. A good visit and nice dinner.
Friday morning picked up additional furniture in Boulder, and then drove to Aspen. Got there around noon and got the furniture out of the truck and into the house. Of course, THIS is when mother nature wagged her finger and said 'no more nice weather!!' Rainy and blowy while unloading......good thing I delegated myself to the back of the truck, handing stuff down to the guys taking the stuff from the truck to the house. Friday night was spent in Aspen, and flew home Saturday. Aspen is a lot smaller than I anticipated. Very quaint, very touristy.....of course, no skiers since it is June. But that's O.K.. I found it a very pretty area, both architectually and the natural views and aspects.


Aspen is an OLD city. Many buildings dated from the 1880's and 1890's. What I really found interesting is how the city is built at the base of Aspen Mountain. Now, at Aspen the ski resort, all the runs, uh, run down into the town.


An old bank building just off the pedestrian mall, which the water fountain is a part of.


Ski runs coming down. See what I told you?? Where's the snow???!!!


1888 at the peak of the cream building on the corner. As you can tell, I am intrigued by all the ski runs that create the background all around the town.


Part of the pedestrian mall that is lined by tourist traps.......expensive tourist traps.


A neat bronze (?) sculpture outside a house outside of Aspen


A neat old church....beautiful stonework, also on the outskirts of Aspen


These next 3 photos are of the house I delivered furniture to. It is up in the hillside on the western side of town. Looking at the house from left to right, this is photo #1 of 3.


#2 of 3

#3 of 3.
An AMAZING house. I think there are 5 fireplaces, an outdoor hot-tub, I lost count of bedrooms and bathrooms, and a fabulous kitchen with a huge eating area (including one of the 5 fireplaces)
In this photo, on the right....no, NOT the U-Haul truck peeking out, to the right of that...is an office downstairs, with an open air deck up top. You can see the bridge leading from the house. There is also a spiral staircase on the outer wall facing the camera.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!

Thanks for going to see my family!