Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday the 12th....Portland, Maine

Sunday we arrived in Portland, Me. What a beautiful day. 60's, clear skies, blue waters. Portland is the stereotypical picturesque New England shoreside town. Various restaurants, shoppes and businesses. Old harborside architecture. In the late 1800's, the city caught fire. What burnt down was replaced by brick.

My sweetheart on board the schooner Wendameen, a vintage 1912, 67' wooden vessel. It was a beautiful day to sail Casco Bay in Portland, Me. 2 1/2 hours under wind power. The ship was full, select your seat and keep it. Here is a site that shows some of her (the ship's!) history.
www.schooneryacht.com/wendameen

Me and our shipmates......see what I mean about a full boat? It was still a neat ride, and we had the Captain near us so we had good conversation while listening to him communicate with the two mates on board.

We also took a bus ride up to Portland Head Light. What a beautiful scene, the tree colors, the water and the clear sky.


Looking away from Portland Head Light.

2 comments:

Anita said...

Beautiful! That must have been so neat to go in the boat. Quite a bit different than the boats Andrew works on! It looks like it was quite an experience.

Anonymous said...

I love the lighthouse pictures. The water is so pretty. I guess it was a really full sailboat. :) Pam, I really like the picture of you with the water, houses, and American flag in the background.