Friday, October 8, 2010

Grand Canyon Hotel, Williams, AZ

Grand Canyon Hotel. First opened 1891. The current owner purchased the property 5 years ago. The place was a shambles. A whole new roof was required. They opened after 5 months of updating the mechanicals and getting two rooms habitable. Some rooms have private baths (including ours!). Others just have a sink in the room and share a bathroom down the hall. The floors look like original dark stained pine. Brickwork exposed from some of the adobe. No telephones, no TV's in the rooms. Thank goodness they DO have wireless internet!
Lots of history. There used to be an elevated porch across the front. Remember, this is on the stagecoach trail that eventually became Rt. 66, so it was very heavily traveled.
Looking down the hallway at the top of the stairs.
Looking down the hallway the other direction. You can see the banister in the foreground.

Front lobby, headed upstairs
The rest of the front lobby

1 comment:

Anita said...

Oh, I love old buildings! Thanks for posting this. I love history! I guess you know that! I'm so glad you're having a great time!